Where obsession takes you
The story of Ocean Alexander is one of opportunity, integrity and family history. After an investment in a friend’s business (which failed to come to fruition), Alex Chueh found himself with a boat-manufacturing yard, a sterling reputation as a precision…
The story of Ocean Alexander is one of opportunity, integrity and family history. After an investment in a friend’s business (which failed to come to fruition), Alex Chueh found himself with a boat-manufacturing yard, a sterling reputation as a precision lock maker and his own courageous business sense. Alex was intrigued by the possibilities. He envisioned that out of this simple boatyard, he could fashion the world’s finest motoryachts. Thirty years later, his dream is a reality.
For three decades, Ocean Alexander engineers have defined the top of the curve in yacht design. Innovations like Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and laboratory-controlled hull testing have proven Ocean Alexander’s design excellence before it is repeatedly confirmed in the open water.
Today, Alex’s son, John Chueh, leads the company. Ocean Alexander now has two factories: an expanded facility in Southern Taiwan, and across the Taiwan Straits, a new facility in Greater Shanghai, China.
A focus on engineering
As splendid as a motoryacht is, it is also the guardian of your safety out on the water.
Ocean Alexander is obsessed with engineering excellence that will never fail you. The company is fanatical about performance, comfort, beauty – but above all, safe passage on the seas. They believe an object as wondrous and rare as a motoryacht deserves to be constantly examined and refined. Every Ocean Alexander yacht is the product of passionate people infused with tremendous talent.
Ocean Alexander brings to bear the collective knowledge and experience of three naval engineers and an accomplished naval architect on every boat they design. Their designers are not on a company payroll, but are private consultants. This way, they are far less inclined to please the company, and much more motivated to challenge and inspire it. Ocean Alexander insists their yachts perform as beautifully under challenging conditions as they do in a two-foot sea on a sunny afternoon.
What’s more, the company has invested decades to be certain that every detail of your yacht fits together as a magnificent whole, from the clear gelcoat on the hull to exquisite exotic woods lavished throughout signature interiors.
They are many. The company’s engineering brochure (request one at firstname.lastname@example.org) is a longer and more thorough exploration of the company’s devotion to exacting technical performance, but as a beginning here’s a brief overview:
*Solid hull bottom;
* Solid fibreglass, hand laid layer-by-layer, follows a proprietary process specified by renowned naval engineers;
* Extraordinary straightness and high lustre result from the hand labour invested in detailed mould preparation;
* Clear gelcoat below the waterline exposes any imperfection so the yard can correct even the tiniest flaws.
I-beam stringers and carbon-fibre reinforcement;
* Extruded from aircraft-grade Series 6061 aluminium, Ocean Alexander’s I-beams reinforce floors at critical points and frame house, decks and windshields for superior strength;
* Unidirectional carbon fibre reinforces stringers and stiffeners in critical areas with ten times the strength of fibreglass and double the strength of woven carbon fibre;
* More living space results from the high strength and low mass efficiency carbon fibre imparts.
* Superior Aquamet® 22HS stainless-steel shafts resist corrosion well and provide more strength with a smaller diameter;
* Cast-bronze V-struts support the aft end of the drive shaft at an angle that avoids creating turbulence in front of the propeller.
* Nibral-N propellers are based on a fourth-generation, new-foil blade used by the US Navy;
* High nickel-alloy composition yields 15 percent more overall strength;
* New-foil design guides water gradually over the blades, lowering cabin noise levels more than three decibels and making the boat less sensitive to cavitation and vibration.
* Full-height engine rooms are standard whenever feasible;
* Easy accessibility of oil filters and other systems requiring routine maintenance;
* Lighted bilge areas with easily accessible hatches facilitate faster service, and can lower service costs. Bilges are finished with high-gloss paint and fine fairing;
* Highly sophisticated humidity control, proper temperature, absence of cabin fumes and plentiful combustion air are hallmarks of Delta T™ air-handling systems, standard on all Ocean Alexanders 68 or longer.
Newest members of the fleet
The company’s newest launches include the 68 and 88 models, both built for supreme luxury and consummate engineering excellence. Each has its own allure, and both offer Ocean Alexander’s signature exotic woods, elliptical stainless-steel handrails and countless other hallmarks the company resolutely insists upon.
Ocean Alexander 68
With a helm view that wraps around the impressive 20-foot beam of this beautifully appointed yacht, just imagine the drama you can expect inside its other luxurious cabins. The 68 has a wide-open, expansive feel other yachts in its class cannot quite match. Its large, midships master stateroom boasts a private-entry staircase and en-suite head. The galley is fitted with full-sized, gourmet appliances; stone countertops; rich sakura walls and cabinetry, and depending upon how you like to entertain, a dining table or generous buffet can be your choice in the salon.
Your guests will appreciate the quiet roominess of the port and VIP forward staterooms, each lavished with TV/CD/DVD systems, cedar-lined lockers and custom cabinetry. Captain’s quarters include the same.
It wouldn’t be an Ocean Alexander without a solid reputation for strength, performance and safety underlying the 68′s enviable comfort.
Ocean Alexander 88
Ocean Alexander and renowned naval architect Ed Monk take yachting into uncharted waters with the new 88 Motoryacht, a vessel as spacious as it is capable.
Like every Ocean Alexander, the 88 is built to the highest specifications. Tank tested in Sea State V conditions, this craft’s aluminium I-beam and solid-bottom construction make it one of the strongest of its size. Step inside, though, and you will notice the generous 22-foot beam that sets this yacht apart.
Interiors this capacious are normally only found on much larger vessels, but an obsession with luxury spurred Ocean Alexander to create an experience that exceeded even the highest expectations.
An expansive salon filled with freestanding custom furniture and a rich blend of hand-matched, exotic woods opens to an inviting dining room for entertaining. The large gourmet galley offers an accommodating layout stocked with full-sized appliances and fixtures from Sub-Zero®, Gaggenau™, Franke® and GE®.
Four staterooms in separated areas provide the ultimate in luxurious relaxation and retreat with ergonomically designed mattresses and full audio-video entertainment systems.
The vessel’s generous beam accommodates his and hers heads in the master suite, as well as an oversized shower. Crew quarters with a dedicated entrance deliver the same level of comfort and lavish appointment as the rest of the ship.
Great views and versatility abound in the sky lounge and Portuguese bridge. Surround yourself with amenities like a burl wood-topped dinette, wet bar, refrigerator, barbecue grill, HD DVD player, 42″ television and a professional sound system.
Visit the company website at:
most read articles
Swedish summer cabins 0 comment(s)
Buying Guide: Japan 0 comment(s)
Buying guide: Sweden 0 comment(s)
Buying guide: Vietnam 0 comment(s)
Emigrate to Australia: The first steps 0 comment(s)
No going back for Richard and Sarah 0 comment(s)
Azores 0 comment(s)
magazine 0 comment(s)
Buying Guide: Malta 0 comment(s)
Buying Guide: Switzerland 0 comment(s)